Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Educationalist

Since I was a young child, I always wanted to be a psychologist.  I wanted to have mind control powers, know what a person was thinking before they even said it, and I wanted to be able to hear someone's predicament, reflect with a pensive yet demure look, and then in a deep voice, give them the answer they didn't even know they needed.  And most importantly, when I met someone new, I wanted to tell them I was a psychologist.  I want to let them know that I had stayed in school a long time, danced the dance, and gotten my new name.  

But alas, my field of study and vocation is education.  And when you've graduated with a terminal degree in most other fields, you get a cool new name.  Jurisprudence graduates are given the name Lawyer.  Those who study history are called Historians.  Psychologists, Theologians, Engineers, Biologists, Doctors, Technologists, Geologists, etc.      

The title of this blog comes from my jealousy of being in one of the few fields that doesn't receive a new name.  I wanted a new name.  I actually still want a new name.  But Administrator is synonymous with Satan.  Educator is a vague and unassuming term used to describe anyone who teaches.  And "educationeer" sounds like I need to make some new friends.

So educationalist it is.  Let my inferiority complex continue unfettered.

Dizz

No comments:

Post a Comment